Wednesday 2 March 2011

Choosing a project

While thinking about what project I wanted to do this year, I started thinking about what architectural issues I wanted to explore.
Light and form were two inspiring areas of architecture I wanted to experiment with and so I started to look for projects that use form and light as key issues in their design.


Initial project ideas included a new regional gallery for Newcastle. After discussing the possibilities of the project with tutors the concept for a totally new building was ruled out in favor of an extension to the existing gallery. This smaller project did not feel like it had the same potential, so i went looking again for inspiration.

This is when I started thinking about the potential for the proposed Newcastle law courts in Civic. The complex circulation and security issues of a court house interest me as well as the people who use it. The highly charged emotions of the users could also influence the design concept.


No comments:

Post a Comment